Spring Pre-Order Native Plant Sale – Support Our Pollinators!
You’re invited to order native grasses, sedges, wildflowers, trees, and shrubs from our spring native plant sale. Native plants are beautiful and support butterflies, bees, and other beneficial insects. This is a pre-order only plant sale. Orders are due March 4, 2021.
The 2021 spring pickup date is Saturday, May 29 from 10 am to 12 pm. If some items are not available in the spring, we will have a second pickup date in early fall (date TBD). Pickup will be at Watershed Ridge Park, 1720 West Buell Road, Oakland, MI 48363.
Sale Information – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
- Sale is for Oakland Township residents and participants of the Natural Areas Stewardship Program.
- Review the wholesale price list from Wildtype (wildtypeplants.com) and select the size and quantity for each species you’d like to order. If you don’t need a large amount, talk to your friends and neighbors about splitting!
- Plug trays need to be purchased in full flats of single species (38 plugs per flat), with the exception of woody plugs which can be purchased in any quantity.
- Quarts (12 per flat), 2” pots (32 per flat), and 2.5” pots (32 per flat) must be ordered in full or half flats of single species.
- Quarts are generally not available in the spring.
- Many woody plants (trees and shrubs) are not available in the spring.
- Complete the order form. Check to make sure you’ve filled it out completely!
- Payment is due when you place your order. If part of your order is not available at pickup (crop failure at the nursery, plants not large enough yet, etc.), you will be refunded for that amount after the pickup date.
- Please include a check payable to “Oakland Township Parks & Recreation,” with “Native Plant Sale” in the memo. Drop off completed order form and check to our office on the 2nd floor of the Paint Creek Cider Mill (4480 Orion Road), or mail them to:
Oakland Township Park & Recreation
Native Plant Sale
4393 Collins Road
Rochester, MI 48306
Native Landscaping Resources
Need some help selecting plants and designing your garden? Check out the links below.
- Michigan Audubon, Garden Designs “For the Birds” – https://bit.ly/2TQdoa7
- Claudia West and Thomas Rainier – Planting in a Post-Wild World: Designing Plant Communities for Resilient Landscapes
- Lynn Steiner, Landscaping with Native Plants of Michigan
Plants and Beneficial Insects
- Michigan State University, “Attracting Beneficial Insects with Native Flowering Plants” http://msue.anr.msu.edu/uploads/files/e2973.pdf
- Doug Tallamy, Bringing Nature Home: How you can sustain wildlife with native plants